Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'm finally joining the Internet blogging community.

I've been laid off after working for the same company for 20 years.  This past week has been my first week of unemployment and I've spent it in a fog.  I feel like I've lost focus, maybe a little of my purpose in life, and just darned weird.  I've been doing a lot of computer searching for job seekers and all of the advice out there is often confusing and conflicting.

For example,  I was told (who knows how many eons ago) that employers search the Internet for more information about you.  You blog? then your prospective employer can find that and read all about your rants and raves.  General consensus .. not necessarily a good thing!  But the situation has changed and I'm reading that if your not on the social website and posting/blogging then your most likely old fashioned and your tech skills may be outdated.  WOW!  Bare your soul to the world so that we know you can use a computer?!?  How about "We didn't find you on the Internet, so you must know how to keep your mouth shut?

So for the sake of employment possibilities, I'm starting my very own blog.  Perhaps a prospective employer will find and read my blog.  I'm not going to bare my soul, but at least maybe they will see that I have decent grammar and know how to use spell check.

That's my 2 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment